[Gllug] Linux has arrived

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 14:17:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:30:19AM +0000, Paul Lee wrote:
>
> > There has been some discussion on this list, regarding issues with
> > 3G "dongles." Might be worth revisiting a drawing up a list of Linux
> > "friendly" devices and providers.
>
> +1
>
> And publish on our web site.  One thing that we could give is UK model
> numbers/names ... too much of the docs are USA based.
>
> We ought to also list by which version of Linux it was found to work.

Other than fairly old kernels* I think almost every 3G dongle just
presents itself as a serial device, which you can send AT commands** at
via a pppd spawned chat script.  This is normally wrapped in something
user friendly in things like Ubuntu, but I like some control so normally
use the cmdline tools by hand.  I've never had an issue on any of 3G
cards I've used.  I really think a list would be pointless unless anyone
knows of one that ISN'T supported, and then the list should contain that
one (ie invert it).  I really have no idea what Currys.digital are on
about and suspect this can only be a support avoidance issue or they
really meant 3D card as the OP quoted.

Damion

*You can often load the serial driver kernel module with parameters
adding usb ids, otherwise a patch is needed to add new device
recognition.  As mentioned before, you'll sometimes need to mode switch
the device.

**This always needs a quick Google, as it'll vary slightly by device and
what ATD... you send varies by carrier.  This should be the crux of
the contents of a driver CD for doze/mac, although IME I've had vastly
more trouble getting mobile dialup working in windows and macos!

--
Sent from my mobile device (Nokia E90, soon to be N97).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk