[Gllug] Current advice for HD purchase ...

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Mar 1 18:40:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 11:48:37AM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> What's the current best options for new HDs? Are any manufacturers to be
> avoided? I'm looking for up to 4 250 - 500G units for a new machine.

I've had very random results from large SATA disks recently.  One WD
unit completely DOA (whereas previously never had a problem with WD at
all), and a small stack of very cheap Hitachi disks which I expected
to die, running fine.

I think the only conclusions I can draw from this are (a) use RAID and
(b) make backups.  And for completeness (a) != (b).

On a related note, has anyone used E-SATA?  I _assume_ it must blow
the socks off USB enclosures, but I've not actually managed to find
anyone selling either drives or computers with it.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat