[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sun Mar 1 21:20:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 04:25:25PM +0000, Nix wrote:

> >> investment I ever made for any computer hardware. I just bought mine
> >> direct from their online US shop - at the time the pound/dollar
> >> exchange was very favourable so even with the customs duty it was
> >> not too bad.
> >
> > What does it do for you? How can a keyboard cost so much? Why is it a
> > good investment?
>
> I don't know why the Kinesis costs so much, but the Maltron costs insane
> money simply because their production volumes are so low that they have
> to hand-make them all. (My keyboard is serial number 8062, and they
> started making them in the 70s!)
>
> As for why you'd ever spend that much on a keyboard, it kills RSI stone
> dead. Lots of people claim that RSI damage is permanent and that once
> you've got it it will never go away. This claim is largely incorrect:
> or, rather, it's correct if you keep using conventional flat keyboards
> and damaging your hands as fast as they can heal.

Indeed, I had really uncomfortable RSI in my wrists after using a
regular keyboard for a few years. I wasted money on all sorts of mice
and trackballs, until I realized it was the keyboard, then wasted
money on the Microsoft "ergonomic" model. Finally I was lucky enough
to try a Kinesis for free while working at ArsDigita & all my RSI
symptoms  dissappeared over couple of a few months, so I purchased
one for home too. $300 is a bargain really when you put it into context
of your career

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|