[Gllug] speed up bootup

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:41:19 UTC 2009

2009/3/17 Diana Scott <dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk>:

> When my ubuntu boot up the orange bar seemed to pause under the logo letter
> B for almost 55 seconds and then complete to fill up to the right.
>
> I have installed bootchart from the site but I couldn't find the icon in the
> system.
>
> Do you know where i can find it ?
>
> Diana

The orange bar will not tell you much about what is going on (except
that something is not working).

A few options you can try:

- Try booting your machine in safe mode:  when booting press the Esc
(escape) key when prompted and then select to boot in "safe mode" and
pay attention to any unusual messages or to places where the machine
lingers too long, if you are prompted for further actions then select
to continue booting as usual and check for details.

- While booting press the keys Ctrl-Alt-F2 (at the same time), in my
machine that takes you to the boot messages, take note of where the
boot is no progressing. If you see no messages try other Fx keys
instead of F2, the messages could be going to other text console.

- You can enable a feature to log all the boot messages.

Edit the file /etc/default/bootlogd and reboot the machine.

Check for the boot messages in the file /var/log/boot

In regards to bootchart:

You need to have a look at bootchart's website (
http://www.bootchart.org/ ), there is detailed documentation there
(although a bit disorganized, welcome to the joys of Liux :-) ).

I have not used this tool myself, but after a quick inspection it
seems your boot data is in a file called /var/log/bootchart.tgz

You can visualize this by running the following command

/usr/bin/bootchart /var/log/bootchart.tgz

(or

sudo /usr/bin/bootchart /var/log/bootchart.tgz

if super-user privileges are needed).

The website above offers also a form to upload the file and presents
the data to you. Not recommended unless you can't display it yourself.

Regards

Jose.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk