[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 17:27:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:30:51 -0400 Andrew Farnsworth
<farnsaw at stonedoor.com> wrote:

> >I struggled to come up with a scenario in which anyone's mother's
> >maiden name could change.
>
> John,
>   The only case I can think of is if you discover / learn that your
> mother is not really your mother... i.e. you are adopted or some
> such.  Possibly Adoption (of you) could also change your mother and,
> hence, your mother's maiden name.  I guess either of these could also
> happen to your mother, hence changing her maiden name.  But the
> chances of either of these occurring are vanishingly small.

Another way would be if your mother kept her maiden name (eg if she
wasn't married and brought you up by yourself, or if she kept her
maiden name on marriage), but then was adopted by her step-father (when
you were an adult of course, otherwise you wouldn't have a bank
account), thereby changing her maiden name.

I doubt whether this has happened, or ever will, in the entire history
of online banking. But I think it would fit the case. (Although,
knowing the nature of this list, I'm sure someone will work out how it
doesn't),

--
 All the best,
 John