[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 08:40:54 UTC 2009

--------

James Laver writes:

>You need not be disabled to get one, of course [...] HSBC were
>more than happy to supply one

I had all of my cards issued as C&S at the time C&P was introduced
without problems (probably because the staff were freshly trained),
but have failed to get it for new cards since then. Even refusing
to take the card with C&P hasn't helped. They'd rather not have the
business than issue a C&S card.

>Of course you'll have to explain why you aren't entering a pin in
>every shop you want to use it in. And IKEA Croydon refuse to accept
>it, in direct contravention of the DDA.

I've never had anyone refuse mine, although it confuses nearly
everyone. Since the terminal doesn't ask for a PIN, it's hard
to enter one. Apart from anything else, it's a condition of
displaying the Visa or Mastercard logos that you accept any
valid card bearing the same logo, or risk having your right
to accept those cards revoked, which sometimes helps persuade
recalcitrant vendors.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk