[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Wed Mar 25 10:08:36 UTC 2009

Joel Bernstein <joel at fysh.org> writes:

> You still haven't asked a question or for any advice. Shouldn't you
> worry more about the quality of service provided by the ISP and less
> about the last mile provision? Seriously, reading back, you don't
> appear to have asked a question. Your subject suggests one but then
> the message body doesn't do more than muse on LLU vs non-LLU provision..

I think it's fairly obvious that he's curious what information and
opinions others have on/about LLU.

Personally I'd avoid LLU like the plague. BT are undoubtedly crap but
so are all telcos and BT are probably better crap than most.

There probably ends up being less lock-in with a BT line than an
unbundled line. At least with BT you have a choice of ISPs even if
you've no choice in phone service provider, except for the choice not to
use it and use VoIP or mobile instead (who are all without doubt even
worse than every fixed-line telco). On the other hand their cheapest
service is cheap and you still get free off-peak calls.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk