[Gllug] Biometrics?

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 13:41:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:17:35 +0000 James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:37:57PM +0000, John G Walker wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:16:43 +0000 James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Its also means authorities do not need everyones DNA to have a
> > > near complete map of the population, by using birth certificates
> > > they can extrapolate data from family trees.
> >
> > Now that really would be a recipe for miscarriages of justice,
> >

> Not really, The system works out candidates, the police then arrest
> them, and take a same, so a precise check can be made.
>
> James

(I assume "same" is a typo for "sample".)

But, as I explained, the police can't take a "precise" sample, since
DNA variations are not randomly distributed across the population.

Anyway, in what sense is it not a miscarriage of justice if I get
arrested purely on the grounds that my cousin may have committed a
crime?

--
 All the best,
 John