[Gllug] [OT] Support model for Linux vs M$

Hong Chyr hongchyr at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 09:57:28 UTC 2009

Hi all

The topic of Windows vs Linux usually end up with one argument: Windows
have support and *most* Linux installs don't have support.

Ignoring the fact that you can get paid support from distro vendors (RH,
SuSE) and big name vendors (IBM, HP, etc), how does it work for SOHO and
SME?

I mean, consider the following scenarios:

Scenario 1: Windows
If I'm a system integrator, selling MS Server and XP licenses to a
customer. Would I be responsible to provide support to my customer? Or
can they call M$ for support?

Scenario 2: Linux

Does it mean the TCO for SOHO and SME can be lower since they don't have
to shell out money for Microsoft licenses? Or is that not the complete
picture?

Hong

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk