[Gllug] [OT] Support model for Linux vs M$

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Mar 12 23:37:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 17:57 +0800, Hong Chyr wrote:

> Scenario 1: Windows
> ----------------------
> If I'm a system integrator, selling MS Server and XP licenses to a
> customer. Would I be responsible to provide support to my customer? Or
> can they call M$ for support?

They paid for it, so they should be able to call MS for "support".
However, they'll be connected to someone who's barely able to speak
English and who has no idea about Windows problems at all.  The
"helpdesk" moron will just read from their script, try to follow a crude
flow chart and end up telling the poor user that they will have to
reinstall Windows and all their applications

> Scenario 2: Linux
>
> Does it mean the TCO for SOHO and SME can be lower since they don't have
> to shell out money for Microsoft licenses? Or is that not the complete
> picture?

It depends what you're prepared to charge for your skills, what the
clients are prepared to pay for them, whether you have the time to
provide the level of support that could be necessary and so on...

I usually can't be bothered to provide support so my clientele are
pointed towards one or other of the distros with their own paid-for
support packages.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk