[Gllug] How to process print jobs locally?

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Fri Mar 6 11:06:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:29:38AM +0100, Jon Dye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was any way to configure cups on the linux clients
> to process the job before passing it to the server?  I haven't found
> anything useful by googling.

Good luck with that. I've been trying to find a way of doing this (on and off)
for about 6 years now.

So, I have a non-postscript printer attached to a network. I  therefore want to
print to it. So I go, tell CUPS that it's a non-postscript network printer.
And.......it spews postscript down the wire. BAD CUPS.

Maybe the concept of network-attached non-Posctscript printers (such as, say,
the HP Laserjets with JetDirect units that have been around since year dot)
have passed the developers by?

> Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a different arrangement, perhaps with
> alternative software to cups, that would be useful too?

I don't remember having any problem with lpr/lpd (specially when configured by
a handy tool such as apsfilter).

Dan
--
Remember:  Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life.
		-- Dave Butler
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk