[Gllug] How to process print jobs locally?

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 08:29:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have a Viglen MPC-L (AMD Geode based I think) running ubuntu server 8.10
attached to my printer.  It's running cups and all my PCs, both Windows and
Linux based, print via this server.  The print jobs from the Windows
machines print pretty fast as all the processing is done on the Windows
client and the file is just passed through by cups on the server.  Printing
from the linux clients however, takes ages.  The jobs are processsed on the
server from PostScript to the printer format and the machine is just too low
spec to do it quickly.  e.g. A 300dpi a4 image (from a scan) takes about 15
minutes to appear.

I was wondering if there was any way to configure cups on the linux clients
to process the job before passing it to the server?  I haven't found
anything useful by googling.

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a different arrangement, perhaps with
alternative software to cups, that would be useful too?

Thanks,

JD