[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Mon Mar 2 14:10:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, March 1, 2009 6:43 pm, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I wonder if touch screen resolution has become good enough to use as a
> replacement to a mouse. Of, course that would only work if one was doing
> things that didnt need mouse access all the time. I've noticed that
> using standard apps I've become so accustomed to using shortcuts that
> mouse usage is quite low. In a normal work hour, its now no longer
> uncommon to not actually reach for the mouse at all.

The problem with touch screens is that it's hard to combine it with the
keyboard. On a typical setup, your screen is a good foot or two away from
the keyboard. If you want to, say, ctrl-click, it's somewhat annoying to
achieve. Then lets talk about the right mouse button. Different software
seems to take different approaches (personally I prefer the two finger tap
approach). Either way, I don't see myself giving up my mouse yet.

As an aside, I went out and bought a logitech trackball on friday because
the shitty mouse that my client supplied me with was starting to ache.
Aside from the very annoying lack of a scrollwheel substitute (scrolling
is roll to the scrollbar, click, roll, unclick), it's a much more workable
thing.

But about that missing scrolling functionality...

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk