[Gllug] VirginMedia or Urban Wi-Max experiences

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 10:18:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 12:08 +0000, Dylan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just moved into a flat which has no telecoms wire, so there is a not
> > insignificant cost involved it setting up ADSL (conecting by BT etc etc
> ...)
> >
> > So, I figured I'd look into the internet only Virgin Media offering and
> the
> > wimax available in the area. Does anyone have any experiences or opinions
> > about either of these which might push me back to BT?
>
> <rant>
>
> DO NOT consider Virgin - they're a bunch of clueless, lying bastards
> (they can try to sue me if they like, I'll shred them).
>
> For example, their "20 Mb/s" offering is actually (at best) 5 Mb/s with
> occasional faster bursts.  If you actually try to do anything useful
> with a VM connection, they deliberately cripple your speed (they call it
> "STM" - "Subscriber Traffic Management").  It's contrary to their T &
> Cs, but they don't care about that.
>
> VM also sell details of your browsing habits to "Phorm", even if you
> demand that they don't (which you're .  Requests for them to stop are
> acknowledged, with a pledge not to do it, but they continue...
>
> <rant off>
>
> C.

That is all fair enough, but yesterday we heard similar things about
Tiscali, and previously BT and so on and so forth.

So the question would be, which of the big providers is the least bad? (if
you get my drift), it would be interesting to know opinions about this
keeping in mind that the way people are buying broadband access is more and
more as part of a package that includes phone calls, TV and even mobile
phones (Virgin do this btw).

If some lay peron asks me about this in all honestly I can't just tell them
to go and sign up with a niche provider, specially noawadys if this would
mean that more would need to be paid for all the disjointed services.

As for doing anything serious at home, what is the point? Better to pay a
tenner for some virtual hosting.