[Gllug] make dist - ignore CVS subdirs

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 30 19:25:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, March 30, 2009 21:19, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> On Mon, March 30, 2009 21:07, Nuno Pedrosa wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Monday 30 March 2009, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>>> Since this group appears to be all-knowing, somebody please answer the
>>> following - how do I get "make dist" to ignore all CVS subdirectories
>>> in
>>> the tree ?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Salsaman.
>>> http://lives.sourceforge.net
>>
>> This seams very odd to me. I am using subvsersion, not CVS in several
>> projects
>> and autotools "make dist" does not include any of the .svn dirs. It
>> should
>> be
>> the same for CVS.
>> Make sure there is no CVS entry in any Makefile.am for the SUBDIRS
>> variable.
>>
>> hope it helps,
>>
>> Nuno
>> --
>>

> Aha - yes that is it, in EXTRA_DIST, I have for example
>
> menu-entries/*
>
> which packages everything under the menu-entries directory, including CVS.
>

> I could change this to specify the exact files instead of using the
> wildcard, but is there a better way to just exclude CVS ?
>

> Cheers,
> Salsaman.
> http://lives.sourceforge.net
>

> --

Hmm...I guess not, the documentation for autotools states:

"You can also mention a directory in EXTRA_DIST; in this case the entire
directory will be recursively copied into the distribution. Please note
that this will also copy everything in the directory, including CVS/RCS
version control files. We recommend against using this feature. "

OK, I will switch to naming individual files and the problem should be
solved.

Cheers,
Salsaman.
http://lives.sourceforge.net