[Gllug] Linux has arrived

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Mar 21 22:49:39 UTC 2009

2009/3/21 Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org>:
> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 17:55 +0000, Sarah Lemarié wrote:
>> > The mother says - "Oh look - a Linux penguin. My brother is into Linux".
>>
>> How about when the mother says 'Oh I use Linux!' ? :)
>>
>> That's what I'm after!
>>
>> Sarah.
>
> That's exactly what happened to me the other day - I took out my
> Ubuntu-loaded laptop on the train and fired it up.  The woman next to me
> asked "Do you prefer Gnome or kde?".  I was stunned!

I've had numerous people ask me about my Ubuntu laptop, and plenty of
people who already run Linux of some kind. Having Ubuntu stickers on
the lid of the laptop helps to get attention.

Almost a year ago I was on the train with a friend to London for the
Ubuntu release party for 8.04. Two guys got on and started talking
about Ubuntu and whether each had tried the upgrade to the latest
release. I asked if they were heading to the released party and they
seemed surprised - "Nah, we're just two web developers who happen to
like running Ubuntu on our machines".

Which was nice.

Cheers,
Al.