[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Thu Mar 26 11:06:23 UTC 2009

Juergen Schinker <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> writes:

> Matthew King wrote:
>

>> Personally I'd avoid LLU like the plague. BT are undoubtedly crap but
>> so are all telcos and BT are probably better crap than most.
>>
>> There probably ends up being less lock-in with a BT line than an
>> unbundled line. At least with BT you have a choice of ISPs even if
>> you've no choice in phone service provider, except for the choice not to
>> use it and use VoIP or mobile instead (who are all without doubt even
>> worse than every fixed-line telco). On the other hand their cheapest
>> service is cheap and you still get free off-peak calls.
>
> LLU is always better because it gives you independance (of BT)
>
> and still the chance to choose from which are available at your exchange

What? Both of them?

Not only are there far fewer LLU ISPs than BT-based ISPs, switching from
one LLU to another is, by all accounts, a world of pain.

Granted BT get some of the money (twice as I pay them and the ISP pays
them) but somebody has to physically lay and look after the copper and
I'm quite happy to pay so it's not me.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk