[Gllug] Linux has arrived

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Sat Mar 21 23:57:06 UTC 2009

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 17:55 +0000, Sarah Lemarié wrote:
>>> The mother says - "Oh look - a Linux penguin. My brother is into Linux".
>> How about when the mother says 'Oh I use Linux!' ? :)
>>
>> That's what I'm after!
>>
>> Sarah.
>
> That's exactly what happened to me the other day - I took out my
> Ubuntu-loaded laptop on the train and fired it up.  The woman next to me
> asked "Do you prefer Gnome or kde?".  I was stunned!
>
> C.

XFCE or Fluxbox of course! ;o)

Seriously, have been wiping a few Windows XP installations with Xubuntu
  which runs sweet, on old Compaq Armada's and Toshiba Satellite's (well
a bit of tweaking xorg.conf in the case of the latter to get a full
screen display).

Ubuntu "just works" out of the box. I was amazed I could connect
effortlessly to wireless networks (seems any generic USB stick works) or
3G Orange Mobile Broadband via my phone. Even my webcams work!

Paul
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk