[Gllug] ntfs defrag

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Mar 2 20:50:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 08:39:38PM +0000, Dylan wrote:

> Are you looking for a Linux program to defrag ntfs, or for programs which
> defrag Linux filesystems? If it's the latter then the short answer is: you
> don't need them because the filesystems are more efficient in the first
> place.

This is not entirely true for any of the filesystems available for Linux
and not all true of some of them.  Much depends on the usage patterns,
with PVR systems being much more likely to cause (and suffer the effects
of) significant fragmentation.  There's an official defragmentation tool
for xfs (but then it is more likely to be used in such systems, given
that it is optimised for handling and streaming large files).

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"