[Gllug] ntfs defrag

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Mar 2 20:55:06 UTC 2009

Dylan wrote:
> If it's the latter then the short answer is: you
> don't need them because the filesystems are more efficient in the first
> place.

Not quite true, and it depends on exactly which filesystems you're
talking about.  You are _probably_ refering to ext2 or ext3 in which
case, to a large extent, fragmentation is reduced by attempting to
allocate space for a file in contiguous blocks, or blocks that are as
close together as possible.   The efficiency tends to reduce once the
disk reaches a certain percentage of its capacity, the typical figure
bandied about is 80% and I have no scientific data to back this up.

Other filesystems do worse and better.  XFS does better (delayed
allocation strategy), FAT32 (a perfectly reasonable of filesystem for
certain uses) generally does worse.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk