[Gllug] Ganglia cluster membership

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 09:46:42 UTC 2009

Hello helpful Ganglions,

I currently have 2 ubuntu machines running gmond, and one CentOS
machine running gmetad.  Everything is working fine.  I've now
installed gmond on the CentOS gmetad server, and would like it to be
added to the cluster.

I now see that the ubuntu machines are running an elderly version of
gmond, and that the CentOS machine has a different sort of config
file.  On the ubuntu machines all I needed to do was add two lines
like this to each gmond.conf:

trusted_hosts 192.168.168.34
name "Test Cluster"

And have a line like  this is gmetad.conf:

data_source "Test Cluster" 192.168.168.184 192.168.168.185

I've added an entry to this line for gmond on the CentOS server, so it
now reads:

data_source "Test Cluster" 192.168.168.184 192.168.168.185 192.168.168.34

And in the gmond.conf I've made one change:

cluster {
  name = "Test Cluster"
  owner = "unspecified"
  latlong = "unspecified"
  url = "unspecified"
}

On the CentOS machine I can telnet to localhost on 8649 and I get XML,
but I don't see any data appearing in /var/lib/ganglia/rrds/Test\
Cluster

And, obviously, I don't see anything on the web interface.

What (obvious thing) am I missing?

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith