[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:02:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Lucy Peters <lucypeters at mail.com> wrote:
> It was an ordeal for me after my bank account been compromised and worse the
> police not interested in a joint investigation. I feel that the police is
> letting the criminals go in a sense.
>
> I am trying to rebuild my confidence with my ubuntu 8.10 in web browsing and
> online shopping. Do you think it is advisable to install tor to protect me
> from identity thief when i go online shopping and banking ? What about
> foxyproxy ? Would it help to protect my privacy ?
>
> Lucy

The only time I was victim of identity theft was when a waiter milked
my credit card details in a restaurant in Singapore. The poor sod
didn't know that only used my CC once during that trip, so I was told
it was trivial to catch him :-)

I have used Ubuntu as my main desktop from at least a couple of years,
and several other distros prior to that, and although my evidence is
purely anecdotal, I never had any problems.

Before panicking about your computing you need hard evidence that it
was your computing activity what created the problem. Unfortunately
scammers   are very creative and have many ways to get hold of your
personal data without hijacking your computer.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk