[Gllug] Linux has arrived

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun Mar 22 12:05:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 11:30 +0000, Paul Lee wrote:
> I'd qualify that. I really meant generic wireless USB adaptors. I have
> to admit not testing any 3G dongles as I don't possess any.

Some 3G dongles need to be modeswitched before they can be used for
network access under Linux as they will, by default, run as USB storage
devices. I have one such, from Three, here and it works well. I needed
to google for how to use it though.

> With Ubuntu I'd say getting connectivity was now easier than say Windows
> XP. I just wanted to walk into Macdonalds and Starbucks and connect
> without a major fight. Thats been achieved.

Ubuntu has really "made" Linux on the desktop as far as I am concerned
and Canonical et al should be recognised for their good work. It's true
that any other distro can be made to work similarly but only Ubuntu does
so "out of the box".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk