[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Mon Mar 2 15:17:53 UTC 2009

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:50:34PM -0000, James wrote:
> Aha.  Although I appreciate that those are usable by lefties, I've
> always found them clumsy.  The first type I linked to are much better,
> IMO; only your thumb has to move and you can achieve very delicate and
> precise control with them.  I have happily played games like Quake and
> WoW using one (trackballs have a particular advantage for such games
> because they never move and can be stationed permanently directly beside
> your kb, for those times when you need to switch quickly from using both
> kb and mouse to full-on kb frenzy).

Similar to your first one, I use a Logitech Trackman:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5BNG&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=trackman&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

I originally got it for the simple reason that it requires a far smaller
amount of clear desk than a normal mouse, but have since found them an
awful lot more comfortable. For longer periods of mouse work (when
hunting Strogg, for example) it's handy to always have my arm in a
comfortable position, and it's good to always come off the keyboard to
the same place.
It's also a touch larger than most mice, and seems to fit my hand a lot
better. And there's the handy effect that you can easily click or use
the scrollwheel without inadvertently jogging the pointer, which is
occasionally useful. And it's handy when it's next to the keyboard and
numpad Enter is on my right thumb, though I'm trying to remember exactly
where this was useful...

Downside is that you lose the excuse for novelty mousemats, but they're
a dying breed anyway.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk