[Gllug] Linux has arrived

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 08:20:27 UTC 2009

2009/3/21 Paul Lee <paul at ma1.se>:

> Ubuntu "just works" out of the box. I was amazed I could connect
> effortlessly to wireless networks (seems any generic USB stick works) or
> 3G Orange Mobile Broadband via my phone. Even my webcams work!

A few weeks ago in the local Currys store I saw a notice pinned up
beside the netbooks. The gist of it was "No 3D network dongles work
with Linux netbooks"
At a guess, there are one or two chipsets which don't work with Linux,
and the staff are not trained to steer the customers towards which
ones are, and don;t want to cope with customers coming back with
netbooks which "won't work".
Bad show.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk