[Gllug] Linux has arrived

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Mar 22 10:07:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 08:20 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> A few weeks ago in the local Curry's store I saw a notice pinned up
> beside the netbooks. The gist of it was "No 3G network dongles work
> with Linux netbooks"
> At a guess, there are one or two chipsets which don't work with Linux,
> and the staff are not trained to steer the customers towards which
> ones are, and don;t want to cope with customers coming back with
> netbooks which "won't work".
> Bad show.

That's funny - we're buying Acer netbooks at work with their peculiar
Linux distro on them and then using them with O2 dongles (not my network
of choice).  They work "out of the box"™ and just "see" the dongles as
ethernet connections.  The good results with these are going some way to
persuade the rest of the organisation to examine migration away from
proprietary-ware (at a MASSIVE cost saving!)

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk