[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 28 23:56:55 UTC 2009

On 28 Mar 2009, Christopher Hunter verbalised:

> On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 10:48 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> On 27 Mar 2009, at 22:04, Nix wrote:
>> [...]
>> > My tiny mind just exploded. How do you *weld* optical fibre?
>>
>> It's basically a high-tech version of knotting the ends together and
>> sticking a lighter underneath.
>
> When I did it last week, it involved the use of a laser to cut and
> polish the ends, some interesting smelling chemicals to clean the
> fibres, and some glue to join the flat ends of the fibre together.

i.e., not actually a weld. I was wondering how you could keep the
refractive index constant after an arc welder had been at it, was all :)

--
`We must stand together and fight for our shared cultural heritage as a
 group of people who cannot stand together to fight for our shared
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk