[Gllug] Back-out plans on Debian/Redhat?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 15:30:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 11:41:41AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 11:15:25AM +0000, Khusro wrote:
<snip>
>> In the case of Apache, would a simple "apt-get install
>> previous-version.deb" work?
>
> Not without more work.  Firstly, the default behaviour of "apt-get
> install" is to install the latest available version - apt-get doesn't
> let you specify a version at all, although it does let you specify which
> distribution (e.g. stable, testing, lenny, etch, some custom local
> distribution you made) to use.  So you would need to make sure you
> either had a repository available in which the previous version was the
> latest available, or just make sure you kept the old package and use
> dpkg to install it.

If the package version you want is already in one of the repositories
you are using, then you can run something like:
	apt-get install pdksh=5.2.14-23

Where 5.2.14-23 is the version of pdksh you want to install.

That's been around since at least Debian 4.0 (etch), and I think
I remember using it in Debian 3.1 (sarge).

Running aptitude in console UI mode shows you the list of versions
available and you can select which one you want.

If you just have the deb file and it's not in a repository, then
there is also 'dpkg --install package-file.deb', but that's not
very tidy.

AlsoDebian have a habit of removing older versions faster than other
repositories (eg Ubuntu), but they are still usually available in the
"pool" area for a few years.

If you run your own repositories then you can control what versions
are available and roll back to an earlier one if you wish.