[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Mar 25 18:04:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 11:38 +0000, Andy McGarty wrote:

> Probably someone at the bank sold your details :(.

I had exactly that experience last year.  The Police weren't interested
- they assumed that "your computer has been hacked".  It turned out that
an Assistant Manager at the local branch sold LOTS of account details to
his Nigerian pals.  It was only when a Special Branch Inspector (who
lives just up the road) had several thousands of pounds misappropriated
that they decided to investigate.  After pestering the Police and the
Bank for some weeks, I got my money back (though not with any interest)
as long as I signed an NDA.  I retrieved the money, and immediately
moved to another bank, as did all the other victims in this area.  The
local branch of B*******s (please note, I'm abiding by the NDA) gets
very little business these days....

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk