[Gllug] GRUB on USB drive

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Thu Mar 26 09:45:25 UTC 2009

Hi all,
     I want to reinstall my laptop (Ubuntu has been too unstable)

But I don't want to risk being without a working system.

So I have a USB hard drive on which I have copied everything across.

But when I boot GRUB fails to find files on the USB drive (ext3 formatted)

I've tried booting directly from the USB drive and it fails with error 2
at stage 1.5

So I tried booting from my current hard drive, and entering the GRUB
command line

I can set root to my new drive (hd1,0)

but then can't see any files on that drive...

The dive is 350Gb with two primary partitions of 160GB (both ext3) and a
third partition of swap space.

Mounting from Ubuntu works fine.

Any pointers as to why the files aren't showing up from GRUB?

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk