[Gllug] [O/T] Grr... new keyboard

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 00:13:54 UTC 2009

On 14 Mar 2009, Tethys told this:
> Nix writes:
>>Snap. (But it would have to run under Emacs, because I won't edit
>>large amounts of text with anything else.)
>
> Are you saying the emacs can't be used as a slave editor from a
> separate MUA, and that the only sane way to edit email in emacs
> is for the MUA to be written in Emacs Lisp?

It *can* be, but it's less elegant (generally you need an emacs running
somewhere else that is talked to with emacsclient/gnuclient, because it
takes way too lomg to start a new one to edit one file). Also, if the
MUA runs under Emacs it can use Emacs-style user interface metaphors
from the ground up, removing an annoying disparity between UI-of-editor
and UI-of-MUA.

> I, too, have been meaning to get around to writing the One True MUA
> since at least the mid-'90s. I haven't done it yet, either (largely
> because MH is sufficiently close that I haven't needed to[1]).

I use MH tools together with Gnus, thanks to its nnmh and nnml backends
:)

--
`We must stand together and fight for our shared cultural heritage as a
 group of people who cannot stand together to fight for our shared
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk