[Gllug] Pricing for a domain

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Mar 4 09:56:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:56:12PM +0000, tid wrote:
> I've been approached by someone offering to buy a domain name I own.
> Does anyone know if there are any metrics for pricing of domain
> names, or indeed of pitfalls of selling domain names? I'm aware that
> domains, like a lot of things are only worth what people are
> prepared to pay for them, but as I'm pretty broke at the moment,
> want to get decent value.

As you say, it's whatever you can scam the buyer for ..

There is a relatively scientific method for valuing a domain for
domain parking purposes, which involves measuring the residual traffic
that visits a site (clicks from unqualified visitors through random
broken links, typos, etc.) and then using knowledge of how many of
those people are stupid enough to click an advert on the site and how
much stupid advertisers will give you for each click, will assign a
minimum value for a domain.  But almost any name of any signficance,
particularly if there has been a useful site at that name before, and
if there is a business plan, will be worth more.

Rich (still looking for something to do with http://xn--xiqc.com/)

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat