[Gllug] ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun May 10 12:36:10 UTC 2009

On 9 May 2009, Alain Williams said:
> On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 02:33:05PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> You want to see multiple line in ed, how about:
> 	.-1,.+10p

Ew, horrible syntax. I suspect this is going to hit the same mental
block I have for vi, though: the commands simply cannot stay in my mind.

> Change multiple lines:
> 	1,$s/foo/bar/

I suppose I really dislike the hard 'lines are separate and that's the
way things are' attitude that ed has got. J in vi is godly (the first
piece of elisp code I ever wrote was a two-liner providing that for
emacs).

But perhaps there is a J in ed as well. I never really paid it much
attention: I blame trauma erasure due to similarity to the abominable
EDLIN. :)

>> Emacs provides that. vim does. ed, not so much. I actually prefer to use
>> sed -i in extremis: that's how nasty I think ed is.
>
> I agree that I prefer emacs for everyday use to ed. But to say that
> ed is nasty is just plain wrong. Try using for a week - and then comment.
> But I suspect that your mind is made up.

It's not so much 'made up' as 'I hardly ever have a situation in which
I'd only have ed available, and if I have anything else available I tend
to use that'.

... except pico. EW.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk