[Gllug] ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sun May 10 12:53:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 01:36:10PM +0100, Nix wrote:

> But perhaps there is a J in ed as well.

ed has j, which does the same thing (vi had to rename it to J because j
had been abducted to become a navigation command).  sed is the king for
multi-line manipulation, though.

> I never really paid it much
> attention: I blame trauma erasure due to similarity to the abominable
> EDLIN. :)

That's like dismissing shell scripts because the DOS shell was so crap
:) edlin was a meagre imitation.  But then, like most of the rest of
the QDOS distribution, it was a quick hack and wasn't intended to last
as long as MS stretched it out for (I don't think they provided anything
better than edlin with DOS until 5.x)

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"