[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed May 13 18:04:00 UTC 2009

On 13 May 2009, at 18:51, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:

> On Wed May 13 13:42 , Steve Kemp  sent:
>
> <snip>
>
>> They might have "Edit | Copy", "Edit | Past", for example, but not
>> a rectangle selection mode.
>
> UltraEdit has had rectangle selection mode for years.  You have to
> drop into
> "column" mode which reverts your text to a Fixed width font.

Does it also have a visual selection mode that lets you select from
current cursor point to 3 lines down up to the 5th "f" character on
the line in half a dozen keystrokes?

I'm not an emacs user so can't speak for their camp, but vi(m) is less
an editor and more a way to turn your keyboard into a gamepad for
navigating and modifying text files.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk