[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed May 13 18:56:24 UTC 2009

On 13 May 2009, at 18:51, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> On Wed May 13 13:42 , Steve Kemp  sent:
> <snip>
>> They might have "Edit | Copy", "Edit | Past", for example, but not
>> a rectangle selection mode.
> UltraEdit has had rectangle selection mode for years.  You have to
> drop into
> "column" mode which reverts your text to a Fixed width font.

That's just an example, of course.

Can UltraEdit parse JavaScript code and highlight constructs that,
while they may well work in Firefox during development and testing,
will cause Internet Explorer to choke? That's a *real* time-saver.

Does UltraEdit integrate with git?

How about syntax-highlighting and correct indentation for Erlang, YAML
and all sorts of other oddball file formats?

Does it even have a mode where it doesn't fill all of my precious
screen real estate with pointless menus, tool bars, tabs, and whatnot?

Does UltraEdit run on my Mac, Linux or Solaris systems?

Does UltraEdit come with full source code and allow for free
redistribution?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk