[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed May 13 08:10:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:44:47PM -0400, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> Well, as I say _I_ pretty much can but I take your point. If I had to
> use a terminal based editor I'd still pick Nano or Pico first though
> (with the -w naturally), as 99% of the time I'd only be editing a
> smallish text file to fix a problem, something even nano can do right?
> For productivity stuff like programming, where I might want macros and
> regex and ftp I would never use a terminal app, not while I'm sitting at
> a box clicking away 3000 million times a second, what on earth would be

Oh, how can you really be productive at programming if you need to use
the mouse to do it ? I can touch type, so I type without looking away from
the screen. I cannot 'touch mouse', so if I need to use it I need to look
away, move my hands off the keyboard, move the mouse/click, then move
my hand back again ... slooooow.
Part of the reason that I use mutt rather than thunderbird[**].

> the point? On a side note, I've just decided I'm going to call the next
> machine I build chocohammer ;)

[**] - that statement was not designed to start another mail war on which MUA
is best.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/