[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs,

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed May 13 08:12:51 UTC 2009

My tuppence worth:

I hate GUI editors - never use them.
I find vi pretty ghastly too so hardly ever use it.

Most of my programming is Cobol (with a bit of C here and there) on dumb
terminals / console, so the restriction of 80 characters to a line is not really
a problem.

Consequently I found the best solution for me is to use my own editor, written
in Cobol, which makes use of the Function Keys to invoke the various insert,
replace, copy, paste, delete functions.

If I need to edit a file on a linux box its generally easier to whizz it over
to the Unix box (with the cobol editor),  edit it there and whizz it back
again.

Vim seems better than vi, but for me using function keys is easier than
weird kjey-sequences I can never remember!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk