[Gllug] Which architecture?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon May 4 10:23:16 UTC 2009

On 4 May 2009, at 10:02, John Winters wrote:
[...]
> The Beeb seem to have done all they can to make iPlayer as
> inaccessible
> as possible.  Unfortunately you need Realplayer to access it and
> AFAIK,
> there isn't yet a version of that for 64-bit browsers.

RealPlayer has never been a requirement for iPlayer. It was required
for "Listen Again" of the radio service, but that's now been
integrated into iPlayer. Some of the legacy content sat on unloved BBC
sites may still be in Real format, but I've not seen any for some while.

The iPlayer backend is quite impressive. It provides transcoding from
the original master source into a wide variety of formats for
different devices. The front end likewise varies depending on how the
user wishes to consume the content. By far the most popular is
streaming off the iPlayer website.

Visitors to the website with desktop browsers get a FLV stream which
requires Flash to be installed. It is, by default, for most users.
Mobile devices that don't support Flash get different formats; the
iPhone and iPod Touch getting H.264, for example.

There is also an iPlayer *application* which downloads the video for
later viewing. A specific Linux version has been made available
alongside the expected Windows and Mac versions. The various other x86
*nix platforms can probably run the Linux version just fine under ABI
emulation.

> The workaround is to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries and a
> 32-bit copy of IceWeasel (or genuine Firefox even).  Then you can
> install the RealPlayer plug in for 32-bit Linux - provided you don't
> mind the licence issues.

It works just fine on this brand new 64 bit MacBook Pro without
installing anything. I've just fired up a Radio 4 comedy to check that
the radio stuff wasn't still using Real.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk