[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sun May 10 08:11:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 08:07:31AM +0100, James wrote:
> On 10 May 2009, at 00:09, Alain Williams wrote:
> >
> > IMHO *nix sysadmins should know how to use ed:
> > * can dig you out of a hole when a visual editor wont work - 'cos
> > terminfo is knackered
>
> OTOH, editing blind isn't usually a fun thing to do.
>
> There's a reason we got graphical editors, is all I'm saying.

And sometimes there's a reason why none of them are available, like the
one Alain mentioned or something simpler and harser, like them all being
somewhere in /usr and that partition having been unmounted.  Most
Linuxes do not install anything that provides /bin/vi by default, so at
this point ed and sed are what you are stuck with.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.