[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue May 12 18:44:47 UTC 2009

John Hearns wrote:
> 2009/5/12 general_email at technicalbloke.com <general_email at technicalbloke.com>:
>
>>  For working on large files and complex programs I am
>> flabbergasted anyone would want to use a crusty old terminal app these
>> days when there's so many nice editors out there like G-edit, Kate &
>> Notepad++. Not only that, for any code that runs over a couple of
>> thousand lines I'd rather use Eclipse. Howdja like them apples? ;)
>>

> Ya wanna do remote administration of a customers machine, via ADSL or
> ya USB 3G dongle in Starbucks?
> Ya gonna set up Nomachine-NX, VNC or just a remote X-display?
> Or ya gonna just use a combination of 'screen' and vi?

I guess I'd use sshfs & g-edit, or ssh & VNC if the problem was with an
x app, then again most of my clients are domestic, most of them run
windows, most of them are a short bike ride away and besides I'm
boycotting starbucks :]

> Ya working on the serial console (*) on a remote link to a machine
> which has crashed, and with your ninja skillz you've got it up to
> single user mode and you need to edit a confgiuration file?

Yeah, can't say as I'm ninja level in anything linux, I only made the
jump recently when it became a choice between that and Vista and I had
to stare the beast in the face *shudder*. Even if I somehow got all of
my clients over to using linux desktops though I can't conceive of a
situation where I would have to resort to vi or vim or emacs or ed or
any of those clunky old editors. Having said that I can always pop over
with a live CD/stick if their box is fubar, I appreciate you can't in
some scenarios.

> Actually, I quite like nedit, but you cannot always assume that a
> system will have X and your particular flavour of graphical editor
> installed.

Well, as I say _I_ pretty much can but I take your point. If I had to
use a terminal based editor I'd still pick Nano or Pico first though
(with the -w naturally), as 99% of the time I'd only be editing a
smallish text file to fix a problem, something even nano can do right?
For productivity stuff like programming, where I might want macros and
regex and ftp I would never use a terminal app, not while I'm sitting at
a box clicking away 3000 million times a second, what on earth would be
the point? On a side note, I've just decided I'm going to call the next
machine I build chocohammer ;)

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk