[Gllug] clueless at IPMI, hellp!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun May 17 18:25:18 UTC 2009

On 17 May 2009, John Hearns spake thusly:

> 2009/5/17 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:
>>
>> The BMC on this system at least only talks over one of the NICs (the
>> uppermost, eth1 in Linux).
>
> Look, you KNOW that you can swap this to be eth0 using the
> /etc/udev/rules.d rules.

I will, but there's no point configuring this box at all: I'm about
to blow its entire disk away (booting over PXE+NFS to do so) and
replace it with a clone of another box (the horribly noisy bastard
in my bedroom).

I'm damn impressed by the silence of modern speed-controlled fans+disks,
I must say: spindle's four drives are quieter than my most quiet
previous machine was with two, and this is a server-class machine (read
'most importance not placed on silent running').

> You could tell me more than I ever want to know about udev rules!

Kay and Greg could. I am merely a dilettante... and less than that where
IPMI is concerned. Thanks to being out of the hardware game for nearly
ten years, I first heard of IPMI last month...

> Sales type specifies a brand new model of Sun server (in the silver
> coloured x series of Opteron servers).
> We were used to a model which connected IPMI to the eth0 LAN port.

Ah, so it *does* only get connected to one port, then. That explains my
initial troubles...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk