[Gllug] clueless at IPMI, hellp!

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun May 17 17:02:00 UTC 2009

2009/5/17 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:

> The BMC on this system at least only talks over one of the NICs (the
> uppermost, eth1 in Linux).

Look, you KNOW that you can swap this to be eth0 using the
/etc/udev/rules.d rules.
You could tell me more than I ever want to know about udev rules!

I'm propmted to say this due to a rather longwinded incident with a cluster.
Sales type specifies a brand new model of Sun server (in the silver
coloured x series of Opteron servers).
We were used to a model which connected IPMI to the eth0 LAN port.
This one decided to connect it to the eth1 port. We could have fooled
with the udev rules,
however we dispatched a technician, a boatload of Cat 5/6 cables and a
set of 10/100 Netgeat swiches.
Simpler and safer all round really.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk