[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue May 12 13:26:07 UTC 2009

Nix wrote:
> On 9 May 2009, James Laver verbalised:
>
>> And the only editor that doesn't suck is a card puncher.
>>

> I tried using a card puncher and damn nearly punched holes in my
> fingers. I dispute your assertion!
>

>> Can we get back to abnormal service?
>>

> This is a more than slightly tongue-in-cheek war, I think.
>
> -- except that anyone who voluntarily uses pico *has* sold their soul to
> Angra Mainyu. I'm sure nobody would dispute this plain fact.

I'll dispute it!

Speaking as a representative of the current century I have to say at
least pico vaguely resembles a modern editor and has an interface the
uninitiated might have a shot in hell of deciphering. For editing
smallish text files it is perfectly comfortable to work in, far nicer
than vi et al. For working on large files and complex programs I am
flabbergasted anyone would want to use a crusty old terminal app these
days when there's so many nice editors out there like G-edit, Kate &
Notepad++. Not only that, for any code that runs over a couple of
thousand lines I'd rather use Eclipse. Howdja like them apples? ;)

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk