[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue May 12 13:44:52 UTC 2009

2009/5/12 general_email at technicalbloke.com <general_email at technicalbloke.com>:

>  For working on large files and complex programs I am
> flabbergasted anyone would want to use a crusty old terminal app these
> days when there's so many nice editors out there like G-edit, Kate &
> Notepad++. Not only that, for any code that runs over a couple of
> thousand lines I'd rather use Eclipse. Howdja like them apples? ;)

Ya wanna do remote administration of a customers machine, via ADSL or
ya USB 3G dongle in Starbucks?
Ya gonna set up Nomachine-NX, VNC or just a remote X-display?
Or ya gonna just use a combination of 'screen' and vi?

Ya working on the serial console (*) on a remote link to a machine
which has crashed, and with your ninja skillz you've got it up to
single user mode and you need to edit a confgiuration file?

Actually, I quite like nedit, but you cannot always assume that a
system will have X and your particular flavour of graphical editor
installed.

(*) I work on system consoles via IPMI Serial Over LAN every day, I
used to do a lot of work via Cyclades serial port concentrators.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk