[Gllug] Which architecture?

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Tue May 5 23:05:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> RealPlayer has never been a requirement for iPlayer. It was required
> for "Listen Again" of the radio service, but that's now been
> integrated into iPlayer.

Although for me, on MacOS 10.5, FF 3.0.10 listening to the pete tong
"listen again", if I opt for the "Lower Bandwidth version" within (the
otherwise entirely flash based) iplayer, it is delivered via
realplayer, with a flash app above it to display a pretty picture.
Flash is used for the higher bitrate streams and video.  Although I
occassionally/randomly get the realplayer version firing up even when
not requested.  Best guess being it thinks I'm on a low-bandwidth
connection.  Which is most likely caused by a crappy netgear wireless
base station randomly having a strop.

Speaking of which - what is considered the best (not insanely
expensive) wireless router these days?  Something that doesn't suck
and require rebooting every day.  I'm willing to pay a bit - the Apple
Airports seem to be the best I've seen for "just plug & work", which
vexes a bit.  I don't need anything particularly fancy, but solid
signal strength & built in adsl modem thingy would be a win.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk