[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sun May 10 10:20:01 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:12:18AM +0100, Harry wrote:
> I agree that people should learn to use either ed or echo, but isn't
> there a vi clone in BusyBox, which IMHO everyone should have installed.
> I don't know where the default location is, but for me BusyBox is
> installed in /bin/busybox.

It's a good option as a precautionary measure but it won't be installed
by default in any of the standard distributions; most people only
encounter it (without realising) when using an installation or recovery
CD.  Distros designed for small spaces or recovery tasks (muLinux,
Tom's Root Boot, Damn Small Linux) are the only ones that install it as
standard.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock