[Gllug] Delaying X startup at boot

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Thu May 7 10:28:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 11:12:45AM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> On Thursday 07 May 2009, Matthew King wrote:
> > Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> writes:
> > > At the moment, I'm going with the former workaround, but how do I
> > > convince the machine to wait until later in the boot process to start the
> > > X server/kdm?
> >
> > Just disable xdm (or as in my case, load it for xdmcp but don't run any
> > servers) and start X manually with startx (or, rather, startx&exit
> > otherwise your terminal will remain open).
>
> That's still a *manual* process, and I'm quite capable of issuing a logout on
> the terminal after switching runlevel - my issue is to make X start later
> WITHOUT having to intercede and without fscking up something I'll have
> trouble fixing.
>
> Dx

IIRC, SuSE uses /etc/init.d/ scripts.  You'll also find /etc/rcn.d where typically n is [0,6] and an integer only.
The number n corresponds to the run level.  Under Debian each of these 7 directories have soft links to files in /etc/init.d.
I think it is similar in SuSE.

Each file starts Snn<filename> where nn is [00,99] and that number determines the start order.
Play with one runlevel first and alter that number, taking care to increase any dependent scripts in the move up the boot order.
If you want to stiop a process starting simply change the filename to K(100-nn)<filename> which prevents it being started but will kill it on shutdown/reboot if it is running.

Also check your X log and syslog for errors?  It might be nice to try and track down the fault rather than hack around it?

HTH

Lesley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk