[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue May 12 21:36:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:44:47PM -0400, general_email wrote:
> to stare the beast in the face *shudder*. Even if I somehow got all of
> my clients over to using linux desktops though I can't conceive of a
> situation where I would have to resort to vi or vim or emacs or ed or
> any of those clunky old editors.

They aren't clunky; they may not look as pretty as your favourite
WYSISWYG editors but they tend to be more powerful, more featureful and
more extensible.  Editors designed for the GUI tend to have fewer
genuinely useful features and more frippery.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.