[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat May 16 23:17:41 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 02:49:43PM -0400, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> Well it's not the 80s anymore and I'd far rather use a gui if one were
> available. I mean, it's perfectly possible to manage all the files on
> your system from the command line but, call me a heretic, I'd rather use
> Nautilus or Thunar if it's at all practical. I appreciate there is some

Eh ? Why ? It is so slooooow to do anything more than non trivial ?
I suppose that it's perfectly possible to manage all of my files using
a GUI, but to do so would drive me nuts in short order.

What we are basically talking about here is investment vs effectiveness.
If you do things a lot it is worth while investing the time to find out
how to do it effectively. If you don't do something much: do it the
easy way. That is how sensible people behave.

What I find astounding is that apparently intelligent people will not take
the initative to find better ways of doing things that they do a lot.

Since we are talking about computers, IT professionals should learn:

* how to touch type

* scripting language(s) in whatever environment they use

> to mount a filesystem I use regularly (within a virtual admin machine
> even!) on my local X-windowed system and not have to touch a command
> line for months on end.

Shudder! IMHO the main advantage of a GUI environment over a 25x80 terminal
is that you can get something like a 50x200 virtual terminal to work at.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk